Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:44:46 -0600
From:      john@dexter.starfire.mn.org (John Lind)
To:        rif@ns.kconline.com (Jim Riffle)
Cc:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan), isp@FreeBSD.ORG, ewssupport@architext.com
Subject:   Re: Architext Excite on FreeBSD?

> On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, John Lind wrote:
> > Daniel O'Callaghan writes:
> > >
> > > Yes.  Run 2.1.5 or higher.  Works fine, I believe.
> >
> > Hmmm.  This is not my experience.  It instantly coredumps on 2.1.0-R(CD),
> > 2.1.5, and 3.0-BETA.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong?
>
> I have found that it was the perl binary that was causing core dumps when
> I installed it on a 2.1.5 machine.  If you untar the file, replace the
> perl program with one from FreeBSD, re-tar it, it should work fine.  I
> have had it running this way on a 2.1.5 box and a 2.2-Beta box.

Thanks to all of you for your attention and responses!

Oh, dear.  I had tried the perl substitution on the 2.1.0-R box,
and that didn't work -- the Excite engines still bombed (even though
the netscape I use on the 2.1.0-R boxes is BSDI) so after that, I
used the perl as a "litmus test" for functionality.  It is now
clear that this was wrong.  The Excite engines *DO* run on 2.1.5
(and presumably later) even though the perl packaged with it does
not.  I was going to try it on my 3.0-BETA system, but it appears
I am have NFS problems with that system (old, slow 8-bit ethernet
card from the salvage heap)...

		 John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG	    USnail: PO Box 17247, Mpls MN  55417