Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:35:21 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        SXren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        bartol@salk.edu (Tom Bartol), mike@smith.net.au, Graeme.Cross@sci.monash.edu.au, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux RPM on FreeBSD, anyone doing this?

> It seems Tom Bartol wrote:
> > >
> > > What I effectively need is rpm running in the linux context, ie.
> > > managing the contents of /compat/linux.  I think it will actually work
> > > (it'd be nice to fix the secfault-on-exit problem of course), I just
> > > have to deal with all the prereqs.
> > >

> > How about running rpm in a chroot'd environment rooted at /compat/linux
> > and adding a the /var tree under /compat/linux?
>
> Why all the trouble, how about:
>
> rpm -i --ignoreos --root /compat/linux /path/to/the/rpm/packages
>
> That works for the Oracle senario....

Because, if you'd been following the thread, you'd have discovered that
rpm is called out of the IBM DB2 installer binary.  8)

Your observation about needing an RPM database for the installed
components in the linux_lib port is spot-on too; this is going to be a
prerequisite for linux_lib 2.7 I think.  I mailed Eric to see if he had
a list of libraries that he normally includes somewhere; failing that I
guess it's just going to be time to sit down with a new RedHat CDROM.

One other question - have you tried using the Linux 'rpm' binary?  It
segfaults on what seems to be exiting, but I can't see any reason for
it...