Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:30:32 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <daniel.sobral@tcoip.com.br>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crashing every two hours!

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 02:30:45PM -0300, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> That information is no longer in the handbook. Now it can only be found
> in the developers-handbook. Alas, let me take this opportunity to complain
> about this lousy idea. Normal users, much more than developers, need
> the information on how to compile a kernel to provide the information,
> how to extract such information, and what to extract.

  We still have an entire chapter devoted to helping users compile
their kernel in the Handbook.  The "Kernel Debugging" chapter that the
user was referring to contains the following sections :

11 Kernel Debugging
         11.1 Debugging a Kernel Crash Dump with gdb
         11.2 Debugging a Crash Dump with DDD
         11.3 Post-Mortem Analysis of a Dump
         11.4 On-Line Kernel Debugging Using DDB
         11.5 On-Line Kernel Debugging Using Remote GDB
         11.6 Debugging Loadable Modules Using GDB
         11.7 Debugging a Console Driver

Now, given that :

  a) The goal is to split up the Handbook into smaller books anyway,
     rather than the 750 page behemoth we have now.

  b) With the exception of maybe one section from above that could
     move into the Handbook, this information is very clearly geared
     to those doing actual kernel development.

  c) Nik proposed this move in May on -doc, and not a single person
     objected.

I think it was very clearly the right thing to do to move this chapter
into the Developer's Handbook.

If you want to write a section on how to submit a good bug report to
developers, then it would certainly be welcomed (a section in the "How
to Contribute" chapter?), but I will have to respectfully disagree
that this entire chapter belongs in the Handbook.

     - Murray