Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 2004 00:22:22 +0100
From:      Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel@roe.ch>
To:        Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
Cc:        Jason Harris <jharris@widomaker.com>
Subject:   Re: ports/63546: ports/security/libprelude - fetch PGP signature

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com> [2004-02-29/22:23]:
> [...] but blindly downloading and verifying a PGP signature is
> actually *less* secure than the md5 checksum in distinfo, and worse,
> it gives a false sense of security.

I don't think anybody meant to replace the md5 checksum with blind PGP
key verifications (blind, as in without a valid certification chain).

But until there is some kind of generic PGP support in bsd.port.mk,
downloading the signatures into distfiles/ is extremely practical for
everybody who wants to *manually* verify PGP signatures on distfiles
against their keyring's web of trust.

The signature files don't actually occupy a significant amount of space,
and take no time to download, so I really see no reason why it should
not be done, unless there's ready to go more generic PGP support in the
ports system soon.

Just my EUR 0.02.

Cheers,
Dan