Date:               Wed, 16 Aug 1995 13:35:49 -0800
From:      "Jim Howard" <jiho@sierra.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:         Re: gnumalloc

> I don't think you have the whole story, and I believe you might possibly
> be wrong about this administrator versus user mindset.  One of the big
> reasons why you want stuff in the root partition to be statically linked
> is so that, in the situation where you've blown away something drastic in
> /usr, and can't mount it (and all of your shared libs), the tools that
> exist to allow you to (possibly) fix this still work.  If everything is
> made dynamically linked, and you lose your libs, you're dead.  If fact, I
> don't think you can even update your libs easily, because when you move
> them, every tool you have will die.

But your rebuttal just provides another example of the point.  In the
single-user desktop PC world, if things get THAT fouled up you just
re-install the whole system from scratch, with important files presumably
backed up securely.  Your argument would be considered somewhere
pretty far out on the fringe, frankly.  But even accepting it, why would
anyone consider putting /usr on a separately-mounted partition on any
machine except a server?  What purpose is served [ ;) ] for a single-user
desktop machine?

And how did this degenerate into an argument, anyway?  Your
perspective is clearly different from mine.

It still amazes me that, although most UNI* machines are single-user
workstations, it doesn't occur to people to reconsider the notion that
workstations should carry all the baggage that only multi-user servers
actually require.  This one-size-fits-all approach has limited the
appeal of UNI*.  (The hardware margins of workstation vendors,
however, have attracted a fair amount of envy in the PC clone market,
where everyone is counting on Windows 95 to prop things up.)

And since this all started with the memory usage of X and its clients:
How many sites do you know of, where the network transparency of X is
actually utilized as originally designed?  What happened to the X terminal
market?

I thought the newsgroups had been abandoned to arguments like
this....