Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 11:40:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        grog@lemis.de, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

> [FYI to everyone else:  Greg is writing an installation guide for FreeBSD]
>

> This is a known bug, and it would appear that nobody is particularly
> keen to change it.  I beat my chest about it several times and
> everybody involved just sort of waffled on it until the subject died
> down again.  Until then, I may just take the automount of the CDROM
> out of /etc/fstab and have people do it by hand.  I hate this, but I
> lack the time to go fix whatever stupidity it is in our system that
> prevents the system from coming up whenever a CDROM isn't in the
> drive.  Unless we fix it, /cdrom is coming out of the default fstab
> in 2.1.  Better a system that comes up without a CDROM rather than
> one that doesn't!

how about adding the 'noauto' option to the fstab line?
we support it now..
(it's in the sources) (though not the docs as far as I can see :(    )

> > 2. The SCSI tape driver will rewind a non-rewinding tape under some
> >    circumstances (I think it's when it detects an EOM).  I have a tape
> >    with multiple files which is readable, but the second-to-last tape
> >    mark seems to be flaky and an 'mt fsf 3' tends to go one mark too
> >    far.  It was a real pain trying to read in the tape, since the
> >    driver kept rewinding it.
>
> Hmmmmm!  I'll let some of the SCSI hackers on our list field this one.
> I don't actually use tapes in my daily life, so I've no direct
> experience with this behavior.

I have a problem with this..
it might be the drive itself.....
I don't think WE ask it to do that....

> > 3. I'd like to see a few more things on the standard installation.
> >    Linux "everything" really does install everything; FreeBSD
> >    "everything" misses out things which I consider essential, such as
> >    bash, less and emacs.
>
> The problem is that all 3 packages you name aren't distributions at
> all, they're packages.  If you're saying that I should make up some
> "fake distributions" that do nothing more than try to add packages, I
> guess that's possible.  What do the others think?
packages should be loadable as if they were just additions to the normal OS
they shouldn't be separate (except for being optional)