Date:      Sat, 12 May 2012 12:43:25 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: yelp update ?

In message <CAN6yY1tbtjn7D7+ZMq4zjCvNa6S2LSoe1xV-Pm5tdHA7Yq7BhA@mail.gmail.com>
, Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com> wrote:

>Work on Gnome3 has been on-going, but it is very Linux-centric and
>things like devkit are central to it and very hard to port of FreeBSD.

That is, quite certainly, unfortunate.

>This is more of a fracturing of the user community. If you look at
>Gnome3, it bears little resemblance to Gnome2. And the changes are
>very much functional, not just cosmetic. The Gnome team (not the
>FreeBSD one) decided that a standardized, non-modifiable look and feel
>was needed by Gnome.

That also is quite unfortunate.  (I also am a fan of flexibility, as
long as reasonably good defaults are avaiable for everything.)

>As a  result, Gnome3 offers little ability to modify the default
>operation.

Yecch.

>They decided that minimizing (iconifying) windows was not
>needed, so it's gone.

Yecch again.  (This alone would be enough to make _me_ never want to use
Gnome3.)

>Last I looked (which is not even close to
>recently) they had removed almost all setting options from the
>desktop. Much of the user community simply rebelled.

Given everything you just described, I can well understand why.

>Actually, a fix was submitted for this on April 28 and it has been
>committed, so yelp has worked for me for a couple of weeks and for
>everyone who updates their yelp. (I worked with Jody Caldwell to get
>the PR submitted, but he submitted the one-line fix.)

Hummm... well, I guss that somebhow I missed picking that up.  Sorry.
I really had thought that I had a fairly up-to-date ports tree, but
maybe not quite up-to-date enough.

>Note this this
>was a one-line bug fix, not an upgrade to a development version of yelp.

Yes.

>I think two weeks after PR submission to commit is not all that bad.

Agreed.

Anyway, thanks for explaining the state of affairs vis-a-vis Gnome2/3.
I really didn't know about any of that, and it's been quite enlightening.

Regards,
rfg