Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:16:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        jbh@labyrinth.net.au (John Hartley)
Subject:   Re: tandberg scsi tape + FreeBSD 2.1/2.0.5

(I'm moving this to freebsd-scsi, therefore quoting much of the
original article.)

As John Hartley wrote:

> Following is a copy of message posted onto *.freebsd.misc new group
> re: Problem with tandberg 4100 scsi tape.
> I have not had any suggestion which have provide a solution to my problem
> and so am posting this bug report.
>
> >I have been trying to get a tandberg 4100 scsi tape
> >drive running so far unsuccessfully.
> >My configuration is:
> >IBM 350/DX4-100 32 MB Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller,
> >Fujitsu HD                scsi 0
> >Matshita CD-ROM    scsi   1
> >Tandberg TDC 4100 scsi 3
>
> Now changed to 2 following mailed suggestion!!
>

> >The tape is recognised at boot as follows:
> >(ahc0:3:0): "TANDBERG TDC 4100 J04" Type 1 removeable SCSI 2
> >st(shc0:3:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x0, 512-byte blocks
> >
> >all operations done on the tape drive result in the following type of message:
> >
> >st0(ahc0:3:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST csi:0,8,0,0 asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB field
> >  replacement unit: 2
> >st0: Cannot set selected mode st0: oops not queued
> >
> >I have tried a number of suggestions all of which fail with the same codes:
> >these include:
> >mt -f /dev/st0ctl.0 density 0x11
> >mt -f /dev/st0ctl.0 blocksize 512
> >
> >It has been suggested that the firmware version is the problem, however
> >the unit works fine with Windows NT and DOS tar for ASPI.
> >
> >I have recompiled the kernel with the SCSIDEBUG option on, but all the
> >scsi commands produce a simillar error:
> >scsi -f /dev/rst0 -d 0x10
> >produces:
> >st0(ahc0:3:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST csi .....

You need to perform this operation on the control device.  This one is
only intended to affect the driver itself, not the actual tape drive.

j@uriah 817% ls -l /dev/*st0*ctl*
crw-------  1 root  wheel      14, 0x20000000 May 19 16:50 /dev/rst0.ctl
crw-------  1 root  operator   14,   3 May 19 16:50 /dev/st0ctl.0
crw-------  1 root  operator   14,   7 May 19 16:50 /dev/st0ctl.1
crw-------  1 root  operator   14,  11 May 19 16:50 /dev/st0ctl.2
crw-------  1 root  operator   14,  15 May 19 16:50 /dev/st0ctl.3

Either of them is supposed to work, the first one wasn't provided by
default in 2.1R.  You can however created it with mknod manually (but
have to use the decimal value 536870912 for the minor number).

> >I have read many articles in the various archives reporting
> simillar problems but no statement of the solution.

Apparently, nobody with sufficient knowledge about what happens, and
with sufficient time to investigate (who does also experience the
problem) was among them.

Remember, FreeBSD is officially unsupported in Usenet.  Its only
official `support' is on the mailing lists.  So your problem starts to
exist for many of the FreeBSD developers right now, with your first
mail to one of the mailing lists.

Since the error message is ``Invalid field in CDB'', i think it would
be of essential interest to learn about the CDB that is sent to the
drive.  This one will be logged with a sufficient high debug level.

Having said this, i'm using a Tandberg TDC4222 myself, and i've seen a
TDC4120 working with FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 at my former employer.  (Their
machine hasn't been upgraded and most likely never will be.)

--
cheers, J"org