Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 12:56:27 -0600
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org, multimedia@rah.star-gate.com, tlehman@becky.acet.org
Cc:        toml@mitre.org
Subject:   Re:  FreeBSD and VAT

> Hi, I have recently installed FreeBSD 2.1 (via CD) and set everything
> up with the MBONE tools.  I am using mrouted version 3.8, sd, and
> vat-and-half (from rah.star-gate.com). Everything seems to work
> fine, except the vat audio is very choppy.  I am using a
> Soundblaster 16 soundcard and the sound driver provided on the FreeBSD
> 2.1 CD.
>
> Can anyone help me with some suggestions on how to improve this.  Is
> this a multicasting problem or is this just the best
> I can expect with an inexpensive soundcard?

There are several ways to find out what the problem is.  The easiest method
would be to click on the receiving person with <shift><right mouse button>.
This brings up the stats page.  Look for lost packets and such.  You can
plot the packets missing, duplicates or whatever by clicking on the
appropriate radio button.

The soundblaster will probably always sound a little choppy just because it
really doesn't run at 8khz.  The way to fix that is to purchase a full duplex
sound card which contains a CS4231 codec that will actually produce 8khz
when you ask for 8khz.  The only card that I know which does this is the
Gus PnP card.  I don't have one yet (they are fairly new) but Amancio says
it works great.

	-Jim