Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:04:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.2-STABLE not stable but panicy?

As Mike Smith wrote ...

> This is typically symptomatic of poor CPU cooling; all of a sudden you

Well, it wasn't the cooler, that was just fine. The CPU was quite cool
(it has a big, good heatsink & fan)

> are running the CPU at full power 100% of the time, rather than sitting
> in an HLT instruction.  It can be further exacerbated if you're
> overclocking.

But you are right all the same: after spending some time eyeballing the
mainboard I remembered I was running at 75Mc bus speed. Have been doing
so for > 1 year now. Another temperature probe, but this time of the
VRM regulators sort of toasted one of my fingers. So my current theory
is that the VRM regulator sort of lost it and the CPU did not like that
too much. I thought of grabbing the old oscilloscope and measure the
powerrails but took the easy route to 66Mc bus speed. Seems to run
fine now.

(this really is Murphy: it is close to 30 degr C here which "never"
happens in Holland && this RC5DES thingy && 75 Mc setting. Burp).

Thanks,
	Wilko