Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:53:00 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Internet connection required for website builds?

Hello everybody,

Today I ran the usual "webupdate" script over an updated repo to build
the docs and the website.

But sometimes I looked over to the logs and when it arrived at
the gnome subdir, I saw that it was busy downloading an rdf file
from the Internet.

And sure enough, www/en/gnome/Makefile has this:

# $FreeBSD: www/en/gnome/Makefile,v 1.9 2002/02/11 16:54:52 sobomax Exp $

<...>

CLEANFILES=	index.html
CLEANFILES+=	newsflash.html
CLEANFILES+=	gnotices.rdf

GNOTICES_RDF_URL=	http://news.gnome.org/gnome-news/rdf

<...>

gnotices.rdf::
	/usr/bin/fetch -qo - ${GNOTICES_RDF_URL} | ${SED} 's|rdf:RDF|rdf| ; \
		s|xmlns.*[^>]||' > ${.TARGET}

In other words, it assumes an Internet connection unconditionally when
building the website. I think this is wrong since there is no warning
about this beforehand and I do not know for sure what happens when fetch
(working in "quiet" mode by virtue of the -q flag) cannot load the
specified file. I think that this should be made conditional so that people
to whom Internet usage costs are an issue might not be caught by
surprise.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM