Date:      Tue, 7 Dec 1999 10:20:40 -0000
From:      "Roger Hardiman" <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Please can you test the latest BKTR driver

Hi,
I've had some reports of the bktr Bt848/878 driver not working correctly
in the latest version.

Please can you all do some tests for me. They are very simple.

1) Make sure you are not running FXTV or any other TV/Video Capture
application.

2) Type in this command
cat /dev/vbi0 > /dev/null

3) Start FXTV

4) Watch TV / Videos as normal

Can you report back telling me if the picture
is OK or corrupted.

What is happening?
===============
There are 2 RGB capture programs in the bktr driver
a) the original RGB grab code.
b) RGB+VBI grab code.  VBI is used by WaveTop and Teletext/VideoText

All the bktr drivers (except the very latest) use the original RGB grab code
as the default.
If you opened /dev/vbi0 BEFORE opening /dev/bktr0, then, and only then,
did it select the RGB+VBI code.

The latest bktr driver in -current now uses the new RGB+VBI grab
as the default. The original grab code has been removed.

I've had a report that the original RGB grab code works on a PC, but the
RGB+VBI grab code does not.
I want to get some feedback on how many people it works for
and how many people have problems.

Techy Bit
=======
The new RGB_VBI RISC program has strict syncing on VRO and VRE as
we need to get the VBI data in the correct order. It is much stricter than
the
old RGB grab RISC program which started  by grabbing any field (even
or odd) into memory, and then syncing up on following frames.
I think this will be causing the problem.

Cheers
Roger

Strathclyde University Telepresence Research Group
http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk
http://www.telepresence.strath.ac.uk/bt848
roger@cs.strath.ac.uk
roger@freebsd.org