Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 2016 22:50:43 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org, Efra?n D?ctor <efraindector@motumweb.com>, hiren panchasara <hiren@strugglingcoder.info>
Subject:   Re: intr using Swap

<freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>=20
> Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> writes:
>=20
>>> On 17 February 2016, at 16:50, Lowell Gilbert =
<freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Have you measured that paging (not swapping; that's a more extreme
>>> measure where the whole process gets removed from memory) is a
>>> significant load on your system in a specific case? If not, I doubt =
that
>>> it's actually the case, and you're mitigating a non-existent problem
>>=20
>> I believe the question here is what is using up the swap space.  From
>> what I have been able to find with a similar situation is that malloc
>> will allocate swap space to backup memory and mmap will also allocate
>> swap if there is no backing file.  procstat -v can be helpful in
>> chasing down some of those issues.  However, I ended up guessing =
which
>> process it was by sequentially restarting processes and watching
>> swapinfo.  I still have not been able to chase down what in that
>> process is using the space.  There are no mmaps that are not file
>> backed so it must be a malloc.  Finding the right one has been
>> elusive.
>=20
> Sure, but I'm pretty sure that the other worriers in this thread don't
> actually have any problem at all. I tried to poke a (Socratically
> limited) number of questions as a start of figuring out whether that's
> really the case, but thus far, I'd bet that it is. If that turns out =
> be a losing bet, I *will* spend time on fixing the code.
>=20
> Your observations are more useful, but I'm still not sure they =
indicate
> a problem that needs to be solved. There are clearly cases where
> significant quantities of swap can get used up storing copies of clean
> pages backing files on disk. Unless that slows down bringing in new
> pages that need to be read or written, I don't think that's a problem.

Well, the problem is quite significant for me in that eventually the =
system runs out of swap and starts killing processes.  Its not quite =
random, but I haven't spent much time trying to figure out how it =
selects those to kill.  The specific system unfortunately is remote =
(about a 3 hour drive) and when sshd gets killed, I have no option other =
than having someone go on site to reboot it.  I have had to start =
monitoring swap usage with nagios and having it notifiy me when swap is =
at 40% used.  So far that has given me enough time to find an internet =
connection and restart the process that is eating the swap.  The =
developer of that process claims that the problem must be in one of the =
library functions it uses.  That does seem reasonable as I am using that =
process on a large number of systems and only one has the issue.  =
However, until I can track down which system call or malloc is eating up =
swap space, I don't really see any way to fix the problem.  I recently =
rebuilt that system with an updated system and resized swap to be 10x =
memory.  That does raise the mean time between process kills, but =
doesn't eliminate the problem.  About every other week the alarm is =
raised now.  Before it was pretty much every other day.