Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:07:46 +0000
From:      Jonathan Belson <jon@witchspace.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   System crash with mplayer

Hiya

On several occasions in the last few months I've had the
system lock up and reboot after using mplayer to play
(big) animations from either an nfs mount or from an
ntfs partition.

On this occasion, X froze solid but the keyboard was
still working (or at least caps lock still worked). I was
just booting another machine to see if I could remotely
connect when the machine rebooted itself.

The core dump doesn't seem to be very helpful (unless
I'm doing something wrong):

root@lexx:/usr/crash# gdb -k
GNU gdb 4.18 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd".
(kgdb) symbol-file /usr/src/sys/compile/LEXX/kernel.debug
Reading symbols from /usr/src/sys/compile/LEXX/kernel.debug...Deprecated bfd_read called at /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdb/../../../../contrib/gdb/gdb/dbxread.c line 2627 in elfstab_build_psymtabs
Deprecated bfd_read called at /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdb/../../../../contrib/gdb/gdb/dbxread.c line 933 in fill_symbuf
done.
(kgdb) exec-file kernel.7
(kgdb) core-file vmcore.7
IdlePTD at phsyical address 0x7365646f
initial pcb at physical address 0x00382e40
cannot read proc at 0
(kgdb) bt
#0  0xc033a5e4 in da_quirk_table ()
#1  0xc000 in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0xc0000002.
(kgdb)

There's nothing interesting that I can see in the syslog.

Has anyone else come across this problem?  Any clues on how
to track this problem down?

--Jon

http://www.witchspace.com