Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:08:15 -0700
From:      Scanner <scanner@apricot.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lockups on machine with NFS writes to itself..

> >Apr 27 12:49:19 kamidake /kernel: Out of mbuf clusters - increase maxusers!

>    In your case, maxusers probably isn't the best solution. Instead, add
> this to your kernel config file:
>
> options "NMBCLUSTERS=2000"

Hm, after doing this and trying my test case (make an ISO image
via mkisofs that will result in a 608mb image file) it still locks up.
(there is a brief period of disk activity.)  The out of mbufs message
will not appear for a while yet.

It is curious that this seems to only happen with NFS partitions
mounted on the same machine. Although the machine is locked up
(all my prompts have stopped responding) it still responds to
pings with no delay at all.

I am going to try upping the mbuf clusters again.  Note,
the test I am doing is to the UW seagate drive attached to
the Adaptec 2940UW controller. (Although these writes work
fine is I go to the same disk, except give the local path that
involves no NFS for writing (but does use it for reading.)

> >Did it not used to, if it fsck'd /, reboot then to do the remount?

>    In the 4.3BSD days, yes. 4.4BSD has the ability to re-mount the root
> filesystem without rebooting. I haven't seen the problem you're describing
> with the clean flag, however.

When the machine reboots after this most recent lockup I will carefully
watch the console to see if there are some exact messagese I can
give this list to help clarify what the problem may be.

Thanks for the help,

--Scanner	(scanner@apricot.com)