Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:59:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Matej Grasic <srecko.grasic@uni-mb.si>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Matej Grasic wrote:

> I a making a program, almost finished. And then one day my machine
> doesn't want to boot. The system says something about not UFS, no
> kernel, than boot and nothing happens. How can I mount the wd0s1a disk
> with the mfs,kern,fixit images, because the system on the MFS has no
> /dev/wd0s1a node. Or how can I check the partition. Please help. Thanks
> in advance.

Can you capture some of the output?  Disk configuration?  It sounds like
the system's just gotten confused about where the system is, or someone
ran '/dev/MAKEDEV all' and throughly spammed the slice entries.

If /dev went away, it's very, very difficult to fix.  You have to copy the
/dev tree off the CD, then rewire MAKEDEV to save to the correct /dev, in
the meantime hoping you can mount the partition read/write.

If you can show us some of the errors you're gtting I can give more
specific instructions.

Doug White