Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 1995 07:54:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Amancio Hasty Jr <hasty@netcom.com>
Cc:        jkh@morton.cdrom.com, ports@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: playmidi?

Hi guys;

	sorry, i am way behind on this one, but i felt i had to comment;

On Mon, 13 Feb 1995, Amancio Hasty Jr wrote:

> >Anyone have any ideas?  Midi through his Linux system (gravis Ultrasound)
>                          ^^^^

> Just take down adagio from a good branch on net .

	I had it on my 115 box, midi support was well, problematic...

> At the same site you will find sound mpeg files which makes midi files
> sound like shit :)

> BTW: We can do everything that the linux crowd can with sound
> plus we got vat !
>
> 	Enjoy,
> 	Amancio

	Ummm, Amancio? This is kind of like saying:

" Man, we can command our computer by voice alone, who needs a dumb old
keyboard? :-) "

	The point behind midi is not just the sounds. It is a
communication standard for electronic musical instruments ( midi stands
for Musical Instrument Digital Interface and it was designed for allowing one
musical synthesizer to communicate with other ones from different
manufacturers ...kind of like what ASCII did for the wire services in the
olden days. ...when it first came out the standard was kinda feeble, and
came to be known as mudi, as in Musically Unusable Digital Interface.. )

	So the real issue wrt midi is not the sound question, but the
ability to do the sequencing, storage and playback.

	As probably the only guy who has both a PAS 16 *and* a real live
MPU-401 clone card who reads the list, i hope to get the midi thing
sorted out someday, so that i can use my cheesy Yamaha synth to control
my PAS via my MPU card, thus having both the fixed freq generator in my
yamaha and the shapable waves in my PAS.....

	sure, i will, right after i sort out my PAS scsi controller and
scsi tape drive traumas ....

 John Utz	spaz@stein.u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life