Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 1995 11:37:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jleppek@harris.com (Jim Leppek)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: ppp

As Jim Leppek wrote:

> why does a requested IP of 0.0.0.0 get converted to
> 192.0.0.1 in ipcp.c line 164 ?
>

>   if (icp->want_ipaddr.s_addr == 0)
>     icp->want_ipaddr.s_addr = htonl(0xc0000001);
>

> My provider expected an IP of 0.0.0.0 to indicate a dynamic ppp connection
> and this "feature" did cause a bit of confusion as a ifaddr 0 0
> does not really work.

0.0.0.0 is an invalid address.  It's used to access any listener on
the localhost (e.g. you can telnet 0 to your own host), and to
describe a default route.

No idea about the 192.0.0.1 however.

Dynamic PPP address assignment requires valid IP addresses, but those
addresses must be negotiated by the PPP peers.  This is part of the
PPP protocol (AFAIK).

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/