Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2001 19:33:42 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        founder.fang@philips.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to make my sound card work

founder.fang@philips.com wrote:

> i am a newbie to freebsd.i think it is more difficult to configure my sound card in freebsd
> than configure it in linux.maybe this is a reason why freebsd is more fit for server.:)
> nobody need to listen music on a server,isn't it?
> i will read chapter 14 in the Handbook carefully.
> thanks

I have sound on all but my P-200. I have one that I had to add the sbc
device but the rest all worked with nothing more than "device pcm".
Sound is much easier on 4.x because it is consistent there. You have to
worry about pcm0 or pcm1 on 3.x. When you get the kernel made,
installed, and reboot. The device shows up in dmesg. You make a device
for /dev/snd? where the "? is the digit on the end of your pcm? device
from your boot. I had to do a ./MAKEDEV snd0. When I finished I had
sound.

Kent

> founder.fang@philips.com wrote:
> >
> > who can tell me whether i need to download 2CD to install 4.3 RC?
>
> In the releases section ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/, there are an
> iso's for each cpu type. There is only one 4.3-rc cd in
> releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES. It is called 4.3rc2-install.iso.
>
> You will find your sound card probably works on it as a "device pcm".
> See chapter 14 in the Handbook for details.
>
> Kent

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com