Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:13:45 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   remote gdb, kgdb and ddb

it's been a bew years since I did this..

some questions..

why kgdb instead of gdb -k ?

for remote, gdb seems to work fine
kgdb -r /dev/cuad0 kernel.debug   thinks it's working but seems to get
confused a lot..

gdb with the following .gdbinit file seems to work as well.
  file kernel.debug
  set verbose 1
  set remotebreak 1
  set remotebaud 9600
  set remotedevice /dev/cuad0
  target remote /dev/cuad0

though I'm not convinced I'm seeing the last frame in which the
trap occurs. (ddb shows one  more frame).

Now that I have my machine in remote gdb, the documentation
(as sparse as it is) doesnt't say how to make the machine reboot.

from ddb I can do 'call cpu_reset' which seems to work, but
I haven't succedded in making gdb do anything similar,
nor to drop back into ddb. At one stage 'detach' used to do that
but it seems to have stopped working.

anyone have ideas (short of ipmi) on rebooting?
(the machine will be remote)
and does kgdb call gdb?  what is the relationship, and since they both
seem to be somewhat working,  which is the right one to use?