Date:      Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:18:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Jamie Lawrence <jal@ThirdAge.com>
Cc:        Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc.d, and changes to /etc/rc?

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Jamie Lawrence wrote:

> I think the big win here is a common framework for handling what can
> become highly complex daemon start/stop procedures. One that I've
> ended up doing is database daemons. Example: you want to kill msql
> for whatever reason. It serves some fast CGIs that in turn provide
> functionality to web users at large. A stop procedure for this daemon
> involves killing the fcgis, killing the DB daemon, moving a "service
> unavailable" page into the docroot (or some other mechanism for end
> user notification), and possibly other tasks. Right now, everyone who
> builds a script for this does it differently. With a rc.d framework,
> this sort of problem becomes much more standardized, as admins will
> tend to build them into that framework.

I think this is the best 'what makes it different from killall' argument.

Often times while explaining to co-workers how to shut something down
properly is it difficult to explain how to do such things. Sure, I could
write some scripts (I have) but if the framework puts these style files in
the same place, the opportunity for an HP/UX SAM type program and other
such admin tools becomes much easier to write.

Not that I'm a fan of 'do-all gui' programs, but common framework helps
programming logic a ton.

- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -