Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 12:00:29 EDT
From:      Bsdguru@aol.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

In a message dated 07/10/2001 11:14:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wes@softweyr.com writes:

> "How much of this disk do you want FreeBSD to use?  ___%"
>
>  Was that really so difficult to imagine?  Better yet, a nice graphical
>  view of the disk and the 4 possible entries in the partition table.  Allow
>  the user to grab the ends of partitions we can manipulate and move them
>  around, either through keyboard navigation or with a mouse.  Focus on the
>  task we're attempting to accomplish: slicing the disk into 1 to 4 differnt
>  logical parts, rather than on the crufty underlying details.

You are assuming the "average user" understands how much to allocate for
root, usr, var and swap, which they dont. But you can certainly make
suggestions based on the available space.

An important question is: are you designing this for unix gurus, or for the
guy in the bookstore that wants to use FreeBSD? (or a windows guy who doesnt
understand unix partition concepts?). Is your goal to make it easier for the
unix guy to install freebsd, or to expand the market by making FreeBSD usable
by the less-than-clueful computer professional?

Bryan