Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 21:41:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone tried HURD yet?

> If anyone else has tried HURD, I'd be interested in your opinions.  I'm
> also curious if anyone is seriously using Lites.  As an aside, I currently
> have _five_ OS's on four partitions of two SCSI hard drives of a single
> 486: Windows 95, NT, Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris/x86, _all_ accessible
> from BootEasy.  Adding HURD would make a grand total of six.  Is this some
> sort of world record?  :-)

I had recently tried out Lites (during one of my benchmarking runs.)  It
is certainly an achievement in technology (IMO.)  However, the performance
of certain ops was quite slow. I passed around some performance numbers
to -core, but have lost my harddrive with the results.

Please don't take my performance comments as putting down the Mach or
Lites projects -- otherwise they are very interesting -- but OS perf
under certain circumstances was very far behind FreeBSD/Linux.  There
are many reasons for using the Mach based OSes, but perf is probably
not going to be one of them.  In particular I remember fork/exec as
being maybe 10x-20x slower...  Perhaps someone in -core could forward
my results that I had measured?

John