Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:46:38 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 09:07 am, Eugene L. Vorokov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a small problem. I work for software development company and
> write daemons and console tools for Unix. My boss wants everything
> to be written in C++, because he thinks C++ is cool. I prefer C
> for such tasks, but I cannot really put good arguments of why and
> where C++ can be worse than C. I know many of you prefer C too.
> Can you please explain some disadvantages of C++ comparing to C ?
> Is it slower, does it produce less effective code, why is it like
> that, etc ... or please direct me to some articles where this can
> be explained.
>
> I apologize for the offtopic whenever it happens, but this issue
> really pisses me off now.

Since C++ is, with a few trifling exceptions, a superset of C, why not just
write C code like you always have and compile with the C++ compiler to make
him happy?

Unless your boss is way more clueful than most (and I doubt it or he wouldn't
want daemons written in C++, I don't think), he won't know the difference.

If he wants oo programming and accessor functions for everything and design
meetings where you roleplay the different objects and all that jazz, thet's a
different matter, and it's worth fighting.  But if he just wants you to
compile with C++, I'd advise just giving in.  The compiles will be a little
slower and the warning messages will be more strict, but you won't have to
change much of what you're doing, unless you're writing pretty "fast & loose"
C code now.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org