Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:19:39 +0200
From:      cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Greylisting -- Was: Anti Spam

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 01:16:23AM -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> The system that would cause problems if it ran
> greylisting is not MY system.  It's the mailserver owned by the cellular
> company that I am sending to.   If they went and installed greylisting
> it is highly unlikely I could get them to whitelist me.  (have you
> ever, for example, tried to get a system off AOL's internal blacklist?)

Yes, that's indeed a problem; but how likely would that be?
Cellular operators know that their clients expect speedy
delivery of SMS, including those sent via SMTP. They know
better than to introduce greylisting latency at the gateway
when there's already normal latency at the SMSC.

Have you confirmed with your cellular operator that they
don't offer additional gateways; e.g. based on ICQ, HTTP
and whatnot? Most likely, they don't offer SMPP-over-TCP
connections to end-users ( http://www.smsforum.net/ ),
but probably to a couple of third-party providers that
you could use instead?

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/