Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 07:46:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Piponi <dpiponi@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "The Matrix" visual effects

J McKitrick asked:

"Does anyone know what effects were actually generated
on BSD machines?"

Pixar sell a 3d renderer called Renderman which they
provide as IRIX and Linux binaries (among other
things). The Linux binaries were in fact run on our 64
FreeBSD CPUs. Basically any 3D rendering was quite
likely to have been done on the FreeBSD machines (we
can't say exactly what because CPUs are allocated
automatically from a pool via a queuing system). This
includes things like the big completely CG view of the
foetus fields or the shots of the Nebuchadnezzar and
its environment.

"a lot of what i thought was computer effects was done
through innovative photography"

It took 18 months to convert those photographs into
something that was good enough to show on film. Much
of that work was, however, intensive 2D work, not 3D
work, and so was carried out on SGIs. (I wrote any
custom 2D code that was used.)

(I only speak for Manex Visual Effects - there were
quite a few shots from other visual effects companies
too.)
--
Dan Piponi
Head of R&D