Date:      Sun, 02 Jan 2000 22:54:17 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Matthew Brichacek <mmbrich@binary.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

> Matthew Brichacek wrote:
>
>  I am having a real problem and have asked many BSD guru's what to do
>  and none have been able to help.  I have a 3com 3c905b card and when
>  i load FreeBSD to install from FTP my network card loads on IRQ 255
>  which is obviously invalid.  I have tried 3 differnet brand cards and
>  they all give the same problem.  Any suggestions would be greatly
>  appreciated.

Sounds like you have something set up incorrectly in the PCI setup
for your computer.

I'm using a 3C905-TX here and it works very well. I'm not a PCI bios
expert, but I think the 3C905 uses "int a", which is set in my bios
to point to hardware interrupt 9. I would confirm this, but I'd have
to take the system down to look at the bios setup. Here are the boot
messages for my card:

xl0: <3Com 3c905-TX Fast Etherlink XL> rev 0x00 int a irq 9 on pci0.20.0
xl0: Ethernet address: 00:60:08:04:11:b2
xl0: autoneg complete, link status good (half-duplex, 10Mbps)

Hope this helps..

Jim Durham