Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:02:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDPD modems -- Novatel Ministrel, et al.

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Christopher Masto wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 1999 at 03:57:36PM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:
> > I'm planning to go ahead and order one of these cards--any chance you
> > could send me a little more info on the specific card your friend has, and
> > how it appears to FreeBSD/etc?  I'd hate to buy one and have it not work
> > :-(.
>
> All I know is that sio finds it and it responds to AT commands.
> Whether those AT commands result in a successful PPP connection, I
> don't know, but I can't imagine that they don't, since it's probably
> the same core as the Minstrel, Sage, etc. which all work.
>
> Unfortunately, Go America STILL has not sent mine.  I am quite pissed,
> since I ordered it in September.  Now I will miss out on my first major
> opportunity to use it, while traveling for Thanskgiving.

Go America looked great until I saw the footnote on the "Go.Unlimited
Plan" -- fixed rate, except: "All plans are subject to a 6 month or 1 year
contract. An early cancellation fee applies, see Terms and Conditions. An
additional $0.10/kilobyte fee will be assessed for usage generated by
non-GoAmerica provided software. "  -- I assume FreeBSD doesn't count as
GoAmerica-provided software?

BAM appears to have a fixed rate CDPD in my area, although it looks like
the Mobitex/BSWD coverage is better (slower though).  I guess I still
haven't found the ideal wireless solution, although I'm really leaning
towards the Ministrel/Merlin product + BAM fixed rate CDPD--I'm a little
concerned by the "low" coverage level around Amherst, MA and South Hadley,
MA, and wish I had some information to let me know what kind of quality I
can expect!

I'd also like to hear positive confirmation on what is required to
configure a CDPD device under FreeBSD -- i.e., "it is on sio0 and you can
use slip as follows..." -- CDPD seems to involve network ids and I'm not
sure how you feed that to FreeBSD.

  Robert N M Watson