Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2020 14:15:40 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, tuexen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making SCTP loadable and removing it from GENERIC

> On 9 July 2020, at 13:10, Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 12:44:25PM -0700, Doug Hardie wrote:
>>> On 9 July 2020, at 08:13, Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> I spent some time working on making it possible to load the SCTP =
stack
>>> as a kernel module, the same as we do today with IPSec.  There is =
one
>>> patch remaining to be committed before that can be done in head.  =
One
>>> caveat is that the module can't be unloaded, as some work is needed =
>>> make this safe.  However, this obviously isn't a regression.
>>>=20
>>> The work is based on the observations that:
>>> 1) the in-kernel SCTP stack is not widely used (I know that the same
>>>  code is used in some userland applications), and
>>> 2) the SCTP stack is quite large, most FreeBSD kernel developers are
>>>  unfamiliar with it, and bugs in it can easily lead to security =
holes.
>>>=20
>>> Michael has done a lot of work to fix issues in the SCTP code,
>>> particularly those found by syzkaller, but given that in-kernel SCTP =
has
>>> few users (almost certainly fewer than IPSec), it seems reasonable =
>>> require users to opt in to having an SCTP stack with a simple =
"kldload
>>> sctp".  Thus, once the last patch is committed I would like to =
propose
>>> removing "options SCTP" from GENERIC kernel configs in head, =
replacing
>>> it with "options SCTP_SUPPORT" to enable sctp.ko to be loaded.
>>>=20
>>> I am wondering if anyone has any objections to or concerns about =
this
>>> proposal.  Any feedback is appreciated.
>>=20
>> I have a number of systems using SCTP.  It is a key part of a =
distributed application.  As a user of SCTP, I have a slight objection =
to removing it from the kernel.  It would require me to remember when =
setting up a new system to enable that.  I am not likely to remember.
>=20
> To be clear, with the proposed change SCTP can be loaded at boot by
> adding a single line: sctp_load=3D"YES" to /boot/loader.conf, or
> kld_list=3D"sctp" to /etc/rc.conf.  Also, the change will not be =
present
> in a release until 13.0 or possibly 12.2, which provides plenty of =
time,
> and the release notes will reflect the change.
>=20
> I was really looking for objections pointing out that a dynamically
> loaded SCTP stack would prevent or inhibit some workflow.  Relying on
> being able to configure systems from memory rather than using a
> checklist or some automated configuration management does not seem to =
be
> a good reason for keeping SCTP in the kernel.
>=20
>> What is going to happen if you run an application that uses SCTP and =
the module is not loaded?
>=20
> An attempt to create an SCTP socket will fail with EPROTONOSUPPORT,
> "Protocol not supported".
>=20
>> What will remind me how to fix the issue?  I am not likely to =
remember about this 6 months from now.
>=20
> Hopefully "protocol not supported" is a sufficiently descriptive error
> message.=20

Actually, the users of these systems would have no clue about that =
message.  All they would figure out is that the system is down and they =
can't do their job and bitch to the CEO.  I am going to assume that that =
error will be produced by the socket call and I have added code to check =
for it and email me if it occurs.  I believe that the only viable =
approach for us is the rc.conf solution as some of these systems are =
rhapsberry pi 3s which I understand don't use the loader.conf file.

One of the configurations we are considering is for each user to have =
their own Rhapsberry Pi and eliminate the central server.  All data is =
replicated between all the machines so there is no need for a central =
server anymore.  If I can make that work, it would be a large cost =
savings for my client.

-- Doug