Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:44:24 -0500
From:      Mark Nipper <nipsy@tamu.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI devices settling and illegal request

	Hi everyone!  :)  I'm trying to get FreeBSD running on a
Digital Server 5000 (AS1200) and I'm having a little trouble.

	First off, I want to say, I'm trying to use FreeBSD
instead of Linux for one major reason.  Supposedly the DAC960
driver under FreeBSD supports revision 2.x of the firmware,
whereas the Linux driver only supports 3.x and above.  So FreeBSD
sounded like a good choice at that point!  :)

	Anyway, I've been browsing the Alpha list constantly the
past few days, having never touched an Alpha before this and this
probably not being the best choice for my first Alpha experience!

	_Anyway_, I downloaded the new-kern.flp instead of the
4.3 released kern.flp, and it boots great.  So here's another
success story for that particular change.  I was hanging at
exactly the same point as everyone else before that.

	So, I was pretty happy at that point, seeing how I
thought I might get FreeBSD installed sometime soon.  But no such
luck!

	I have dual 533's on this AS1200 with 1GB of RAM, one PCI
card with a(n) NCR53C810, two NCR53C875's and a DECchip 21140-AA
ethernet controller and two Mylex DAC 960's (three channels apiece).

	The problem I'm having I've only seen a few mentions of
but no fixes.  The new-kern.flp disk boots fine, and I get the
normal prompt to insert mfsroot.flp (although the disk light
still stays on the whole time).  After I insert mfsroot.flp, I
interrupt the boot process to do a 'boot -v' for more diagnostic
output of course.

	After all is said and done, I end up at the following:
---
Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
(noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS reset delivered.
(noperiph:sym1:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS reset delivered.
sym1: enabling clock multiplier
sym1: Downloading SCSI SCRIPTS.
(noperiph:sym2:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS reset delivered.
sym2: enabling clock multiplier
sym2: Downloading SCSI SCRIPTS.
(probe5:sym0:0:5:0): . CDB: 12 1 80 0 ff 0
(probe5:sym0:0:5:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
(probe5:sym0:0:5:0):  sks:c8,1
---

and there it sits.  So it looks like something is "wrong" with
SCSI device id #5 attached to sym0?  I believe, if I'm not
mistaken, that this is my CD-ROM.  This sounds like another
problem someone was having too, but I'm not sure.

	Any advice?  I tried pulling both DAC960's to avoid more
complications, but that didn't help.  So I assume this is an
issue with the NCR based board.  I'd try pulling it and leaving
the DAC960's, but after banging my head on this for a number of
days, I'm kind of exhausted.  I'll get to that later if no one
has a magical fix for me!

	Thanks for any help.  I'd love to help get this
platform/architecture running better...

--=20
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
Computing and Information Services                      nipsy@tamu.edu
Texas A&M University                    http://arrakis.tamu.edu/nipsy/
College Station, TX 77843-3142            AIM: texasnipsy ICQ:66971617
(979)575-3193                                        Yahoo: texasnipsy