Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2010 01:15:48 -0700
From:      Marty Rosenberg <marty.rosenberg@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs on 4k sector disks

I've tried running zfs on a maximum of 22 disks in various configurations
with
raidz and raidz2, and 4-7 devices in each vdev.  In general, the performance
has
been pretty abysmal.  Using gnop to emulate a disk with 4k sectors, the
performance usually starts out in a reasonable place (60-100MB/s, about the
write speed of an individual disk), but after adding 30 or so gigabytes of
data, the
write speed drops dramatically. down to 1-3 MB/s in most instances.