Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 14:46:22 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with guspnp sound driver

I've been noticing some problems with the sound driver lately.  It's hard
to say exactly when it started.

For a while now, I've been playing some mpeg compresses audio files in
"jukebox" mode on the FreeBSD systems that I have at work and at home.
I've got a  bunch of files; however I've found that if I say something
like:

	mpg123 /u/louie/jukebox/*.mpg

things seem to "degrade" after the second or third audio file.  At the
time, I thought this was some sort of bug with mpg123, so I got into
the habit of:

	for f in /u/louie/jukebox/*.mpg; do mpg123 -q $f; done

instead, running a new instance for each audio file.  This continues to
be what I do on my system at work which has thsi version of the
guspnp driver:

VoxWare Sound Driver:3.5-alpha8-970706 (Sun Jul  6 01:23:34 PDT 1997 Amancio
Hasty@rah.star-gate.com)

with a GUS PnP board.

Ok, so far so good.  On my system at home, I've been tracking the
sound driver release pretty closely and have guspnp16 running now.
Lately, I've not been using the "jukebox" audio too much at home, and
haven't really been paying attention.

Over the last few days, however, I've noticed that when I run mpg123
to play an audio sample, I get this weird distortion - sort of a
fluttering effect, almost with an echo (which might be the same sample
replayed, or non-sync between the left and right channels, not sure).
It happens repeatedly, and occurs in the same place in the audio
playback each time.  I don't think it's a decoding problem with
mpg123; if I invoked

	mpg123 -s foo.mpg | pcmplay

instead, then the playback either occurs with no problems or fewer
problems in different places.  I'd fiddled around with ktrace and
some debug printfs in mpg123 to see if there's something weird
going on with the size of the write()'s being done at the time
that the distortion occurs, but I haven't seen anything obvious.

I'm begining to think that the original problem I saw (playing multiple
files) and this latest problem (distortion during a file playback) are
the same sort of thing, but just happening sooner.  It's almost as if
there is some de-synchronizing thing happening in the sound driver
after sustained writes which gets cleared or reset when the device is
closed and reopened.

I've seen the same thing happen using the 'xaudio' command that
was recently mentioned as part of a GUI mpeg audio player, so I don't
think it's the software.

Sorry about the lack of further detail - what should I do to try to
narrow down the cause of this?  I've got a bunch of the older
sound drivers, and if it's useful, I can build a kernel with one of
the older ones and see if it happens again.  It would be helpful to
know where significant changes occured so I can minimize the number
of reboots.  Or perhaps some debug messages that I could corrolate with
the distorted audio?

Sorry for bringing this up so late in the process, but it was hard to
know where the problem lies and I've run out of easy things to try..

I'm running a GUS PnP, and fairly recent 3.0-current.

louie