Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2014 21:43:39 -0800
From:      <dteske@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <dweimer@dweimer.net>
Cc:        dteske@FreeBSD.org, questions@freebsd.org, freebsd@fongaboo.com, owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: ZFS on Hardware RAID controller
References:  <alpine.BSF.2.00.1402111550250.5347@helix.wtfayla.net> <CAF6rxgku91Rz037H-rpBCzc9G5bu5=KOiAm1Wms3%2B1Xcz%2BJjtQ@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1402181717580.4903@helix.wtfayla.net> <CAF6rxgkVWm9AbM8SWCA3oHg8DHwSrRbSTW%2Ba%2BE9o%2Bky9SKNc2w@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1402182250080.4903@helix.wtfayla.net> <0fdd01cf2d29$dca0aba0$95e202e0$@FreeBSD.org> <4e4aa28301cedd61cb5693e79a90d0ab@dweimer.net> <0fdf01cf2d34$65d9de00$318d9a00$@FreeBSD.org>

Google
> and you get...
>
> A collection of hard disks that aren't configured according to RAID; A
hard
> disk enclosure for several disks, especially one lacking a RAID
controller.

> I don't know where you got the so-called definition of "spanned
together..."
> which directly contradicts JBOD.
>

> > > RAID-SPAN is RAID-0. Which is as you describe "simply concatenates the
> > > drives into one volume in a serial fashion, ie. 'spanning'."
> >
> > Raid-0 is a stripe, its splits the data evenly across the disks, instead
> of spanning
> > them.
> >
> [Devin Teske]
>
> How are you classifying "spanning" as something different than RAID-0?
>
> I advise you that some RAID controllers call RAID-0 "SPAN" and RAID-1
> "MIRROR".
> If you've not personally seen this, I offer it as evidence that they are
one
> and the
> same. On a more technical note, "span" could technically be used for any
> topology
> that causes capacity to increase as you add more disks (but I inform you,
> have
> _never_ seen any RAID controller call any parity-balanced topology; e.g.,
> RAID-5;
> a "SPAN" but rather they call it a RAID-5; only RAID-1 has ever been
called
> SPAN).
[Devin Teske]

Minor typo in that last bit...

"only RAID-0 has ever been called SPAN"

> I'm somewhat mystified by your above statement that somehow implies that
> RAID-0 is not a spanned topology.
>

> > > JBOD on the other hand stands for "Just a Bunch of Disks" and is not
> > > the same as "concatenating the disks" but rather allows your
> > > controller to throw the drives at the Operating System with the
> > > attitude of "here, you do it then."
> > >
> > > We can actually therefore call ZFS's RAID capabilities, "software
> > > RAID".
> > > However, it's a very _good_ software RAID that breaks the old adage
> > > that says "hardware RAID is faster than software RAID."
> >
> > JBOD has been generally used as in putting just one disk through to the
> O/S,
> > and Spanning is generally used to describe multiple disks concatenated
> linearly
> > however its definition is interchangeable.
> >
> [Devin Teske]
>
> No sir, the definitions of JBOD versus SPAN are never interchangeable. I'm
> not
> here to pick a fight or argue, but you're misinformed.
>

> > FWIW, if the raid controller doesn't have a JBOD/SPAN option,
> [Devin Teske]
>
> I repeat that JBOD and SPAN are not the same thing.
>
> > sometimes you
> > can define a single disk Raid-0 instead,
> [Devin Teske]
>
> This would be a SPAN of 1 disk (counter-intuitive as this may sound).
Again,
> [...]
> > performance.
> >
> [Devin Teske]
>
> That much is true.
> --
> Devin
>

> > > To highlight the difference of "JBOD" versus "spanning" (aka RAID-0;
> > > aka
> > > RAID-
> > > SPAN), take the following use-case example:
> > >
> > > 1. You take 12 drives and apply spanning logic on the controller
> > >
> > > 2. You take a controller and put it into JBOD mode
> > >
> > > In scenario one (1), your OS still sees a single drive.
> > > In scenario two (2), your OS sees all twelve drives.
> > >
> > > Just wanted to clarify that putting a controller into JBOD-mode is not
> > > to be confused with RAID-0 or spanning (which would still be utilizing
> > > the controller's software; the best benefit of ZFS comes from letting
> > > it have direct access to each/every disk).

> > > since it
> > > optimize

> > > each
> > > controller and

> > > thinking
> > >>

> > > Correct; JBOD never means span (which is RAID-0). Rather, JBOD usually
> > > means using non-RAID capable hardware with a RAID-capable operating
> > > system (e.g., using ZFS). We are again in-essence talking about using
> > > software RAID to create a software pool.
> > >
> > > I don't want to go drawing similarities to many other software RAID
> > > solutions, because ZFS is truly in a class its own. But if you're
> > > familiar with the concepts of setting up a software RAID (mdadm,
> > > vinum, graid*, etc.) then ZFS should be more familiar. That's not to
> > > say that you need to know these things to use ZFS (in practice, ZFS
> > > has predictable commands with predictable syntax) but if you have ever
> > > created a software RAID you will be in unique position to better
> > > understand the JBOD mentality.
> > >
> > > So in transitioning to a test platform that uses "JBOD" you
> > > essentially have two choices that look attractive...
> > >
> > > + Ditch the RAID card and use a standard adapter for connecting your
> > > drives
> > >
> > > + Find a way to change your RAID controller to export all the disks
> > > NB: This may involve using a LSI provided utility or flashing a QLogic
> > > card
> > > NB: If you give us your exact card info, someone may have information
> > > on how to transition it into JBOD mode for ZFS
> > >
> > > + Create a bunch of single-disk RAID-0 arrays (12 disks? 12x
> > > single-disk
> > > SPAN
> > > or RAID-0 arrays; producing 12x single LUNs for use in ZFS).
> > >
> > > Hope this gives some ideas.
> > > --
> > > Devin

> > > JBOD.

> /wiki/ZFS%23ZFS_and_hardware_RAID&k=%2FbkpAUdJWZuiTILCq%2FFnQg%3D
> > %3
> > >> >

> D%0A&r=Mrjs6vR4%2Faj2Ns9%2FssHJjg%3D%3D%0A&m=rrGF66zgDe1thlbKNL
> > 85L2
> > >> >

> J80eLI6wBr0AEIltTFLaM%3D%0A&s=4799b4ef2dd7cc6060a9545178e315329de

ZFS.