Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 1995 21:31:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   re: weird problem with login/getty/init wtmp

> From: Ollivier Robert <Ollivier.Robert@keltia.frmug.fr.net>
> Subject: Weird problem with login/getty/init & utmp/wtmp
>
> I've a weird problem. Login-ins are correctly recorded  but log-outs no. It
> started around March 10th/11th :

I had this problem while I experimented with increasing UT_NAMESIZE beyond
8 in /usr/include/utmp.h.

I did not reboot, and the old init was running (the old init had UT_NAMESIZE
as 8).

After rebooting with the recompiled init the problem went away.

I'm using UT_NAMESIZE 10 now with no trouble.  I needed to do this to migrate
users from an older SYSV era box that had 9/10 character user names on it.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net