Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 2009 06:10:46 +0200
From:      Nikolay Denev <ndenev@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS resilver/replace changed vdev names from da(4) to gptid

Hello,

Something strange happened while resilvering a 6 disk raidz1 array with =
one failed drive.
I've initially put the new disk and issued :

  zfs replace tank da1p2

But the resilver process found unrecoverable errors in one snapshot and =
after resilvering for 7 hours
it still showed da1p2/old and the new da1p2 and shortly after this after =
issuing another zfs scrub command
the machine livelocked.
The strange thing happened after I rebooted the machine and restarted =
the zfs scrub.
This time ZFS picked up the new device not by da(4) name, but by gptid, =
this pass also failed and I was forced to
destroy a snapshot containing the unrecoverable errors and restart the =
scrub again.
This time it completed normally and the pool is now ONLINE but even more =
strangely this time it replaced another vdev
with it's gptid, and this is not the vdev that was being resilvered... =
and now the pool looks like this :

  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: resilver completed after 7h18m with 0 errors on Tue Nov 17 =
00:16:20 2009
config:

	NAME                                            STATE     READ =
WRITE CKSUM
	tank                                            ONLINE       0   =
  0     0
	  raidz1                                        ONLINE       0   =
  0     0
	    da0p2                                       ONLINE       0   =
  0     0  4.55G resilvered
	    gptid/b8baba94-d068-11de-a6d5-003048c1b5fa  ONLINE       0   =
  0     0  63.2G resilvered
	    gptid/c00174b1-d068-11de-a6d5-003048c1b5fa  ONLINE       0   =
  0     0  4.55G resilvered
	    da3p2                                       ONLINE       0   =
  0     0  4.21G resilvered
	    da4p2                                       ONLINE       0   =
  0     0  4.55G resilvered
	    da5p2                                       ONLINE       0   =
  0     0  4.21G resilvered

errors: No known data errors

P.S.: This also makes me wonder how I can safely make all of the other =
vdevs use gptid, as I plan to replace
the SATA controller with a new one that probably is going to export the =
devices as ad(4) or ada(4).

--
Regards,
Nikolay Denev