Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:18:11 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        Dave Tweten <tweten@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -STABLE buildkernel broke! (linux module)

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 05:47:53PM -0800, Dave Tweten wrote:
> cristjc@earthlink.net said:
> >The problem seems to be stale dependencies. Add,
> >  # rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/YOURKERNEL
> >Or better yet,
> >  # rm -rf /usr/obj/usr
> >To your weekly script.

> Since I mount a separate file system at /usr/obj, it would be an even
> faster band-aid to unmount that file system, newfs it, and re-mount it
> each week.

I do that.  The seperate filesystem is also mounted async.  Between
those two tricks I save quite a lot of time on a build.

> But, wouldn't it be "better yet" to fix the problem so band-aids
> aren't necessary?  One of my reasons for a weekly re-build is to help
> the community discover and fix bugs as they are introduced.  It seems
> clear to me that this is a build bug.

I also believe all this chicken waving about "rm -rf /usr/obj"
should not be necessary if the build makefiles are glued together
properly.

What happens now is the moby top makefile descends into each
subdirectory and does a "make clean".  Usually that works, sometimes
it doesn't.  But if the general suggestion is to believe that some
sections of the code are broken in regard to "make clean", and the
fix is to rm /usr/obj, then perhaps the "make buildworld" target
should just do that.  It would be faster than the recursive cleans.

Plus, it would be one step closer to the way Linux does stuff.
(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com