Date:      Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:18:12 -0400
From:      Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   network boot

--pgp-sign-Multipart_Tue_Jul_26_03:18:11_2005-1

Is there a way to netboot FreeBSD/sparc64?

I'm coming to FreeBSD from NetBSD, where I netboot NetBSD/sparc64 and
just about everything except PeeCees, so I already know how to set up
rarp, dhcp, tftp, NFS.  Also I was able to cat the split FreeBSD
release chunks and untar them---I don't know if you're supposed to do
that, but I did it and poked around---so I have something like a root
filesystem and am able to read man pages.

However I don't understand FreeBSD's booting process, and I don't see
where to get the second-stage loader binary to feed OpenPROM over
tftp, something like NetBSD's /usr/mdec/ofwboot.net.

Also something like the diskless(8) man page to explain how the
second-stage loader likes to load, on NetBSD the kernel but on FreeBSD
I guess it has to load a great many things like the several files that
make up the rest of the bootloader and kernel modules and whatever,
once I have the tftp second-stage loader how do I direct the booting
system to these other files?