Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:49:13 +0100
From:      HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld for 3.1 fails

I'm afraid you can't go straight from 2.2.x to 3.1-Whatever.

There was a post (from jkh ?) advising a two-step tactic :
1) from 2.2.x to 3.0-Release via make aout-to-elf
2) from 3.0-R to 3.1-S via make world

As for me : I didn't want to bother about disklabelling an existing
parition, merging /etc directory content, making new devices, upgrading
my config file, .... So I got lazy and installed a new version on a
spare partition (knowing that all of my data resides on other partitions
which are alternatively mounted under 3.0-Current or 3.1-Stable)

	TfH

PS : the spare partition was in the beginning devoted to keeping a
2.2.8-Stable version of FreeBSD (now that I have KDE1.1 on Xfree3.3.3.1,
I have no need to look back)