Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:48:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@best.net>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, dima@best.net, newmike@teleport.com
Subject:   Re: kern/6102

Matt,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

>     There are potentially multiple causes to this problem.  The most likely
>     cause is the one that Julian found... a hardware FIFO overflow on adaptec
>     boards.  I dunno re: DPT boards.  However, the HWb ug supposedly only
>     occurs if SCB paging is turned on, and we have it turned off and still
>     getting the panics so we are persuing some debugful kernels in an attempt
>     to track the problem down.

I see.  In searching the lists for info, I found several recent reports of
the biodone: buffer not busy panic on both DPT and BT based systems.  They
may not be related but all are described as random, relatively infrequent
and usually related to periods of heavy SCSI activity.

>     Note that, as per Julian, this problem does not appear to occur on
>     CAM-based systems.  Right now we aren't running CAM... it's too big a
>     change for me to put into production just yet, and I'd really rather CAM
>     were incorporated into the main CVS tree rather then kept as a separate
>     tree.

This is another factor that makes me feel like it's something outside of
the specific controller drivers which is causing this.  Either that or
these drivers are all committing similar, aggregious problems. (such as
calling biodone more than once in error)

There is a relatively new thread about the DPT firmware interrupting with
status packets that point to ccb's that the driver has already completed.
It seems to me that under heavy load this could happen on other
controllers.

Unfortunately for me, -CURRENT is not an option for this machine, so I
won't be running CAM either.

I'll be watching the lists like a hawk for any traffic regarding this.
I'm also willing to try out any possible solutions you come up with.

- Bruce

|| Bruce M. Walter                    || 107 Timber Hollow Court #335 ||
|| Senior Network Consultant          || Chapel Hill, NC  27514       ||
|| Fortean Technologies, Inc.         || Tel: 919-829-4908            ||
|| Information Technology Consultants || Fax: 919-829-4993            ||