Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:08:53 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Subject:   Re: AIC7902 w/ seagate U320 drive issue on releng-4 (and current)

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> > Dear scsi gurus, please fix the above messages.
>
> It is not a problem with the driver, but with syslog.  I'd be
> happy to review and commit a fix to syslog should you provide it.

The problem seems to be in both the kernel and the driver.  '<' at the
beginning of a line means the beginning of an encoded priority, so
drivers shouldn't use '<<<' to ornate messages.  Encoded priorities have
the form '<'{<digit>}'>', so "<<< Message >>>" is a syntax error.
syslogd's parsing of encoding priorities is a little sloppy.  I think
it inteprets '<'<non-digit> as priority 0 and discards the first '<'.
Priority 0 == LOG_EMERG is a little different from the default kernel
priority of DEVSPRI = LOG_KERN | LOG_CRIT == LOG_CRIT.

Removing the newline accidentally avoids the problem by misformatting
"<<<" to not start on a new line.

Bruce