Date:      Sun, 03 Feb 2002 11:02:26 +1100
From:      Richard Chew <rchew@telstra.net>
To:        <RichardM@mhsoftware.co.uk>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "missing operating system" after first re-boot

Richard

Two things might help. First, before installing, use a DOS fdisk program to
set the partitions.

Second, when partitioning in FreeBSD, make sure you set the root partition
to be active. If you use the auto partitioning method, then make sure you
select the / partition and set that active.

I'd try the second method first to see if it is merely a case of not
setting the partition active which causes the system not to boot.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

At 07:25 PM 2/02/2002 +0000, Richard Mace wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have tried installing Free BSD 4.5 on a number of occasions, and I keep
>getting "missing operating system" on the first re-boot.
>
>I must admit that I am mostly a Windows user, so I choose "Auto" for the
>partitioning, which appears to set partitions up correctly, but I just can't
>seem to get it booting after install.
>
>I have read that the FreeBSD partition has to be set to active, which I did,
>but I keep getting the same message.
>
>Could someone help me out please?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Richard Mace