Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 09:21:08 +0100
From:      Lars Koeller <Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: colorls needs color-xterm?

----------

Hi!

 > This may be a question for XFree, if so I beg pardon.
 >
 > I just built the colorls port on a new installation of FreeBSD 2.2 and
 > XFree86 3.2.
 >
 > The DESCR file for the colorls port reads:
 >
 > 	Standard xterm prior to XFree86 3.1.2B doesn't know about colors,
 > 	so you should use update your XFree86 or use kterm (available from
 > 	the ports collection).
 >
 > This leaves me with the impression that with XF3.2 I no longer need
 > color_xterm to use colorls.

Well, thats o.k. the xterm in XFree-3.2 understand the ANSI color
ESC-sequences!

 > However, the only color I can seem to get with xterm is black. I've tried
 > various xterm switches including +cm and +dc to no avail.
 >
 > can I run colorls without color_xterm?

Run without any problem fo me. Try this:

	- open a xterm
	- execute 'colorls -Gl /'

A colored listing of / should appear. If this fails try it on the console.
Never hat problem with it.

Do you have in the file

	/usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/Xresources

the following line to enable color display?

	*customization: -color

Lars
Internet:                                       |  Lars Koeller
  Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE      |  Department of Physics
  ftp://odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de             |  University of Rostock
PGP-key:                                        |  Germany
  http://www.nic.surfnet.nl/pgp/pks-toplev.html |

----------- FreeBSD, what else? ---- http://www.freebsd.org ------------