Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:36:57 +0100
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   USB oddities SiS chipset.

	Hi,

	I am having serious trouble with USB on my box since getting a second
USB device.

The environment:

	Running 4.2-STABLE about a week old on a box with SiS5595 chipset, the USB controller is identified as a SiS 5571. I have two USB peripherals (an HP 970Cxi printer and an Epson 1240U scanner), I have modified usbdevs.h and uscanner.c to recognise the Epson (I will send patches if I ever get it stable).

The problem(s):

	Under all conditions I tend to get a lot of "usb0: scheduling overrun" messages in the error log.

	With just the printer connected the only oddity is that switching the printer off results in a message announcing it's discovery on the USB, switching it on does nothing.

	With just the scanner attached all seems to be well, unless I run usbdevs while scanning, at which point scanning stops, sometimes the system will freeze for about a minute and then reboot, sometimes it will carry on running but the USB controller does not respond.

	With both devices attached, I can print until I scan after scanning no data goes to the printer (attempting to open /dev/ulpt0 gives a device busy error). Usually I get messages about device errors and the USB subsystem disabling ports, both of the active ones - sometimes I get a lock up and reboot.

The Question

	Is this a buggy USB chipset (if so anyone reccomend a good one for a
M/B swap) ?

	Have I just got two badly behaved peripherals.

	Is this (I think not) just the state of USB support in -stable.

	What can I usefully to to either produce debug info or fix the problem ?

--------- USB section from dmesg ---------
ohci0: <SiS 5571 USB controller> mem 0xd8900000-0xd8900fff irq 9 at device 1.2 on pci0
usb0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
usb0: SMM does not respond, resetting
usb0: <SiS 5571 USB controller> on ohci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: SiS OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
uhub1: Texas Instruments TUSB2046 hub, class 9/0, rev 1.10/1.25, addr 2
uscanner0: EPSON Perfection1240, rev 1.00/1.04, addr 3
ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 970C, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 4, iclass 7/1