Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:45:57 -0800
From:      Jo Rhett <jrhett@svcolo.com>
To:        Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fast releases demand binary updates.. (Was: Release schedule for	2006)

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:27:18PM +0100, Marian Hettwer wrote:
> I'm actually wondering how yahoo for instance handles this situation. To
> my knowledge, they have several thousand of FreeBSD based servers.
> Either they are all the same in regards to configuration and version, or
> they have some other cunning way to solve the issue of patching.

Yahoo has a very similar implementation to ours from what I grok, but they
aren't happy about releasing their implementation into the wild so I can't
say for sure.

> > We need support from the freebsd core developers that this is a worthwhile
> > idea, and what kind of solutions would be acceptable to them.  Once we have
> > a direction to go in, code can be written.

> Generally speaking: Your statement is true. You don't start writing code
> without an agreement that the direction choosen is a direction where
> FreeBSD wants to evolve.
> However, you (as in, you as a developer) could come up with a proof of
> concept. Start with an implementation like you would like to have it.
> And even if it's just a piece of paper and some code.

Before we plan the invasion of Iraq, how about an agreement on what we're
trying to accomplish?  Like I said, this topic has always been killed
because "non-newbies can run make buildworld".  So if it's going to get
shot down quickly then why bother?

Frankly, that's pretty much where it has gone.   Everyone who cares about
this has privately mailed me saying "it would be nice" but nobody believes
that we can get this accepted for inclusion.

I've tried to make the point clear, and ignore the insults and try to keep
on topic... but it's pretty much a lost point already.  Everyone loves to
say "you're an idiot" or "your ideas [taken out of context] are wrong" etc
and such forth.

> Then start this thread over again, fine tune the concept and hopefully
> some others will jump aboard and help developing.
> I would like to, but I do lack knowledge in C. Shell and a wee bit of
> Perl is fine. Definitly too few knowledge for a project like that :-/

If it really was a project, just a willingness to test this across a range
of environments and the ability to do-one-thing-at-a-time and read log
files would be great assistance.  But given zero interest in the project
expressed so far, this is cart years before horse has evolved.

> That statement ain't true. If the code solves your problem, fine. If it
> solves problems of others too, even better. Chances are higher that it
> doesn't get ignored...

Code that doesn't solve the problem correctly should be rejected with a
reason.  Ignorance advances nothing.  No replies/no updates = ignorance.
And no commits means the problem isn't solved.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek