Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 20:00:43 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-current users), yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Funny sc0 behaviour

>sc0: the current keyboard controller command byte 0045
>kbdio: RESET_KBD return code:00fe
>kbdio: RESET_KBD return code:00fe
>kbdio: RESET_KBD return code:00fe
>kbdio: DIAGNOSE status:0055
>kbdio: TEST_KBD_PORT status:0000
>sc0: failed to reset the keyboard.
>sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
>sc0: MDA/hercules <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
>
>Of course, most of the above is a lie. :-)  This machine has neither
>a keyboard connected, nor a graphics card present at all.
>
>Shouldn't sc0 fail probing in this case?

Set the DETECT_KBD bit (0x08) in the configuration flag of syscons,
and its probe routine (scprobe) will report failure if keyboard reset
fails.

As for the display adapter, syscons assumes there always is a graphics
adapter.

I always thought these are design decisions. We have to ask Soren
exact reasons why these decisions were made.

Kazu