Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 1995 18:55:56 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Scott Mace <smace@metal.ops.neosoft.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vnode_pager_outpages error

>While under high paging I sometimes get the following errors:
>
>vnode_pager_putpages: attempt to write meta-data!!! -- 0xfffe8000(ff)
>vnode_pager_putpages: attempt to write meta-data!!! -- 0xfffe9000(ff)
>
>this kernel was built from -current CTM1298.

   This is a known problem, and as far as we can tell, is benign.

>Also, I randomly get signal-10's and singal-11's when compiling.

   That's a real problem. It's interesting to note that Jordan was having
trouble a few days ago when he tried to upgrade his 90Mhz machine (same
motherboard as you) to 100Mhz. When he replaced the CPU with a 133Mhz one,
his problems went away. In his case, it was obviously a hardware problem, but
since the external cache and memory were operating with the same timing
(66Mhz), I can only conclude that the problem was the CPU itself. Strange...

>This is with an ASUS P55TP4XE/100 ,
> 256 Pipline Burst cache, AHA2940 scsi 16MB EDO ram

   Hmmm...what kind of disk are you using on it? I'm definately interested in
the results of any equipment swapping you can do. It's possible that there
is some sort of bug in the VM system (we've been down THIS road plenty of
times :-)), but I haven't seen any problems like that here...and I do
countless make worlds. I have two P55TP4XE based machines here, both are 90Mhz
w/PB cache. I know that Rod does extensive testing with these motherboards,
too, and he does 100Mhz+ there. His tests are all with -stable, however.

-DG