Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2000 11:59:33 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Sean Michael Whipkey <highway@cstone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Eclipse

Sean Michael Whipkey wrote:

> Will Andrews wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 08:54:40AM -0500, Pat Lynch wrote:
> > > anyone see this?
> > >
> > > http://www.bell-labs.com/project/eclipse/release/
> >
> > !@#$%$^!@
> >
> > Somebody branched off us?? :-)
> >
> > Cool, I'm gonna have to have a look at their work.
>
> They were at FreeBSDCon with a booth.  I knew I recognized that name
> from somewhere...:-)

They also had a good presentation on it, with a very knowledgable lady
developer doing the talking. However, when I asked her about Eclipse's
performance with larger task sets than just 2 or 3, she said they hadn't
tested any finer granularity of prosesses. It was pretty clear from her
answer that the overhead goes up rapidly as the process count you are
trying to guarantee service to does. I would think this would be a
bucket of cold water to anybody envisioning a real QoS system that's
useful on real-world systems. Of course, thank you Gordon Moore... ;-)
--
Donald Wilde                        "Linking Minds and Micros"