Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 11:10:17 +0100 (BST)
From:      Ian Pallfreeman <ip@albatross.mcc.ac.uk>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc & speaking klingon

On Wed 19 May 1999, Doug White wrote:
> On Wed, 19 May 1999, Ian Pallfreeman wrote:
>[...]
> > 	additional daemons: syslogd.
> > 	checking for core dump...savecore: warning: /kernel version mismatch:
> > 	        FdreeBSD 3.2-STABLsE #2: Tue May 18c 12:09:01 BST 19h99
> > 	csavecore: rebootk
> > 	May 19 11:18:5:9 curlew savecor e: reboot
> > 	savencore: system wenet down at Wed Magy 19 11:15:22 19a99
> > 	savecore: /vtar/crash/bounds:i No such file orv directory
>
> This is fun.

Indeed. I've figured what it's trying to tell me. This is a combination of
the output from savecore(8), mixed up with a kernel message:

	dscheck: negative b_blkno -1047972

I've traced dscheck to sys/kern/subr_diskslice.c, but am none the wiser.
Clutching at straws, I do have a reasonably large swap partition on that
box:

	Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
	/dev/da0s1b   3932462        0  3932334     0%    Interleaved

I'm able to dd it to /dev/null without provoking complaints from dscheck, so
I guess it isn't some legacy 32-bit code which should be off_t's. Another
theory down the pan. :-(

> The dup alloc is a bit suspicious.  Read the section on kernel debugging
> in the Handbook and try building a kernel with 'options DDB' so you can
> peg this in person.

Aww, no, not again. :-(

The dup alloc is _very_ suspicious. I've pulled a 3.1-STABLE kernel from late
April back off a tape, and that has stayed up all night. 3.2-STABLE will die
with the dup alloc within minutes. But that's another problem.

Cheers,

Ian.