Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 1995 17:28:36 +0000 ()
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   /etc/start_if.foo and /etc/sysconfig

How do,

Probably a stupid question, but what's the relationship between
/etc/sysconfig and /etc/start_if.foo?

As I understand it, if I have to do simple configuration of an interface
(that can occur in one ifconfig line) then put the line in the
ifconfig_foo variable and let /etc/netstart take care of it.

However, if my needs are slightly more complicated (configuring an
interface with several IP aliases for example) then I should forget
about ifconfig_foo and put *all* the commands in /etc/start_if.foo?

Or should I put the generic configuration in /etc/sysconfig, and any
extra stuff in the start_if.foo? Which would strike me as odd as the
start_if.foo scripts are called before the information gathered from
/etc/sysconfig is used?

I realise this may just be a question of style, but I was wondering which
approach other admins are taking.

--+=[ Nik Clayton            System Administration, Blueberry Design Ltd, ]=+--
--+=[ nik@blueberry.co.uk               1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre ]=+--
--+=[ root@blueberry.co.uk           London, SW10 0XE. Tel: 0171 351 3313 ]=+--
"It's two o'clock in the morning. . . do you know where your stack pointer is?"