Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:45:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-19991220-SNAP sysinstall failure (triage)

Hi,

   I tried to install a SNAP which I built early this morning
and ran into some trouble (4.0-19991220-SNAP).

   After running through sysinstall and configuring everything,
the following message pops up:

Unable to make device node for /dev/ad0s1b in /dev!
The creation of filesystems will be aborted.

   If I flip to the debug screen, the following is present:

MakeDev: Unable to lookup user "root".

   If I take a look at /snap/release/usr/src/lib/libdisk/create_chunk.c
at line 336, the following code fragment is failing:

    if ((pwd = getpwnam("root")) == NULL) {
        msgDebug("MakeDev: Unable to lookup user \"root\".\n");
        return 0;
    }

   Before I start debugging the boot floppy (actually I use the
2.88 image burned onto a CD) code, has anyone else run into this
yet, and/or is a fix being looked at?

Thanks!
John